What need to be done after purchase a property in Malaysia

The process of purchase a house is not end at the moment we get the house key. We need to inform various authorities regarding the change of ownership. There are 5 of them.
  1. Cukai Taksiran/ Pintu
  2. Cukai Tanah ( Don't not get confuse with cukai taksiran) 
  3. Electricity - Tenaga Nasional Berhad
  4. Water Supply - Syabas
  5. Indah Water Konsortium
It take me a lot of time to understand and research the whole process hence I'm writing down my own experience, hopefully this will help some of you out-there. The example below is specific to Selangor hence it will be different for other state. When in doubt, always call your Municipal Council for more information. 

Tips: You will always need IC and S&P, make at least 4-5 copies of them. 

Cukai Taksiran
Cukai Taksiran need to be done at municipal council, aka local Majlis Perbandaran. In my case, I did it in MPSJ (Majlis Perbandaran Subang Jaya), which located in USJ 5, Subang Jaya ( click here for google maps). To transfer the ownership, you will need the following
  1. Transfer Ownership Form ( can get it via information counter) 
  2. Latest "Cukai Taksiran" bill from previous owner. ( You need to query from another counter if you don't have this) 
  3. S&P ( Most important) 
  4. Photo copy of your IC (identification card, if you don't know)
After that, get your number and it will be done within 15 mins as normally the queue wasn't large. Please note that they normally ask you to pay for the current year tax too so prepare RM 200-300/year ( you have option to pay for 1/2 year) for that.

Cukai Tanah
Don't get confuse "Cukai Tanah" with "Cukai Pintu", they are totally 2 different taxes. I got confused until the counter lady told me I need to change my name in government land office. After several research  again, it appear this has been done during the S&P process ( purchase the house, the land have to be under your name). Having to say that, its good to cross check with them and pay your cukai tanah before 1 May of every year to avoid late payment charges. To understand which office you should refer to you can check on your "No. HakMilik". If it started with PM mean you should refer to Pejabat Daerah Petaling which located in
Pejabat Daerah/ Tanah Petaling 
Kompleks Pejabat Kerajaan Daerah Petaling
No.1, Persiaran Atmosfera, Seksyen U5
40150 Shah Alam, Selangor Darul Ehsan.
Tel : 03-7841 9400
Samb : 9403, 9404, 9405, 9406, 9407, 9408, 9409
Email : hasilpetaling@selangor.gov.my
( full list refer to http://hasil.selangor.gov.my/DirektorPejabatHasil.aspx)

You can also choose to pay Cukai Tanah online via  http://hasil.selangor.gov.my/ and click on "Semakan Cukai Tanah". You will have to key in a 21 digit account number, which you can get it by calling their office. In my case, I manage to pay via online without having the hassle travelling to their office.
Tips and Learning:  Its always good to call their office to verify this information before the trip to double confirm.

Electricity - TNB
This is the fastest among all and you can go to most kedai TNB to get this done. However to be safe I went to the Pejabat TNB which is located in Bandar Baru Bangi ( Click here for google maps ). 
You will need the following: 
  1. SNP
  2. Transfer ownership form. This form can get in the information counter and you need to fill in you immediate family member together with his/her IC. Do get this in before hand as there is limited telco line (digi).
  3. Setem Hasil Rm 10.00 ( can get it there)
  4. Deposit ( Wang Cagaran)  - Depend on your house type. e.g. landed single storey Rm 250, double storey rm350. 
  5. Processing fee of Rm3.00.
  6. Photocopy of your IC

Water Supply - Syabas
The process is no different than TNB. You will need to following
  1. Photocopy of your IC
  2. S&P
  3. Deposit of Rm70. 
  4. Prepare another Rm40 if your house don't have the meter. 
  5. You
You, as the owner must be present for the application. Before you go to any branches, call 1-800-88-5252 to understand more the procedures. According to my discussion with the Customer Services. It doesn't matter which office/branch you goto but its always better to refer to the office that responsible for  your area. You can refer to this page for the list of Syabas Branches and their location.

Indah Water Konsortium ( Contact )
There is 3 option for Indah Water.

  1. Walkin
  2. Fax
  3. Email
The only document needed is the 1,3, last page of your S&P as prove, other than that, there is no charges or whatsoever.

If you prefer to walk-in, you can bring the S&P and visit their HQ via 
Indah Water Konsortium Sdn Bhd (211763-P)No 44, Jalan Dungun, Damansara Heights,50490 Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIATel: +603  2780 1100Fax: +603  2780 1101

If you prefer fax or email, you should always give them a call. Tell the customer service agent your purpose and they will give you a "Report Number". This Report Number should come with format like R04/3633423 (example) is to let IWK know that the documents they receive either through Email or Fax are from you.

In my case, I send them my email via care@iwk.com.my together with my scanned copy of S&P and Report Number. That is. Done.

Finally, I'm now done with name amendments for all utilities for my house. It took me 2 months hesitating to do it but once I start doing it. I only take 1 week in total.


  1. Your information is very useful and helpful. provide excellent benefits for us all. The first we share information with each other. thank you for the information.
    Kidney Care Capsule Atasi Penyakit Ginjal || Cara Efektif Mengobati Psoriasis Secara Alami || Obat Radang Sendi || Obat Kram Usus Alami || Obat Meningitis Tradisional || Obat Herbal Gendang Telinga Robek

  2. Dropping by to say THANK YOU for these useful information. In my mind, it is only SYABAS and TNB that require change of ownership but now I know it is more than that. Thanks again!

  3. thank you for ur useful information.

  4. this website "https://hasil.selangor.gov.my/" doesn't seems to be working anymore.. Anyone facing this issues?


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Reset Xiao Mi Power Bank

Malaysia Income Tax Query

Is Kuala Lumpur Water Hard or Soft? Is it safe to drink?