Another Linux Distribution I'm going to try in near future
CrunchBang has been reported to boot faster than Ubuntu while still including a larger number of applications by default than a standard Ubuntu installation.
It operates better under low resources than Ubuntu and is faster than a normal GNOME-based Ubuntu distribution. By default it comes with a minimal panel and system information pane on the right side of the screen and nothing more.
CrunchBang Linux has been developed completely from Ubuntu sources with the exception of a few packages.
Unlike Ubuntu, CrunchBang includes several non-free or patent encumbered applications and libraries such as out-of-the-box support for several multimedia formats including MP3, Adobe Flash as well as DVD playback. CrunchBang also replaces some applications that are included with default Ubuntu, such as:
- Openbox Window Manager instead of the GNOME Desktop Environment
- ROX-Filer and Thunar (replaced by PCMan File Manager in CrunchBang 8.10.02) are used as file managers instead of Nautilus
- AbiWord and other GNOME Office components instead of OpenOffice.org
- Skype VoIP client instead of Ekiga
- CrunchBang also uses a different GTK theme, icon set and default wallpapers.